Thursday, July 23, 2009

What's all the hipe about Buckwheat pillows?

I have never in my life paid so much for something that is in its self a by-product. The fact that anyone would pay $80.00 for a pillow who's outer material is simple cotton, and who's inner filling is what is left over after they hull buckwheat, has never really made any sense to me.

There are many awesome benefits to using these pillows though, firstly they are awesome comfortable.... Think memory foam, only all natural, and non toxic. I have also read in several places that Buckwheat are non allergenic. My two asthma kids have no issues with their pillows now, and they sleep very comfortably. Buckwheat breathes, if you make the pillow out of cotton, and use a cotton pillow case, you will never wake up sweaty again, the pillow wicks moisture from you, and it seems that dust mites don't like them.

So after researching buckwheat pillows and why on the web, I decided it was in my best interest to just make one for myself. Now finding your buckwheat hulls is another story. Since they are all the rage right now be careful about just ordering them from the Internet, since you will most likely get over charged. I order mine through my favorite health food store in town. The owner orders huge 50 lbs sacks for me, and when I say huge I mean it. The hulls themselves are very light weight, so 50 lbs is a lot.

Then I take a a pillow case and I cut my material roughly the size of the pillow case. Sew the seems at 5/8 of and inch, but leave yourself a hole roughly the size of a glass at the end (so you can put your hulls in. Then turn it right side out. I like to stitch a second seem on the outside as well,, better safe then sorry. Spilled buckwheat hulls are a nightmare to clean up.

After you have the case sewn then use a simple canning funnel to pour your hulls in. I like mine to weigh about 4 1/2 to 5 lbs, and the cool thing is that you can reopen it and add more or take some out to suit your likes. I like to weigh mine with a fish scale (very inexpensive), then close up your hole, and Voila` you have a buckwheat pillow that sells for WAY too much money and it cost you literally a few dollars to make.

A few hint's instead of buying new material for your cover, just cut up a favorite old sheet, since you will definitely put a pillow case over your pillow to protect it, who cares what the cover looks like. Just in case you haven't noticed there is a lot of buzz about Lavender lately, and I can say that it's right on. I make tea from Lavender flowers at night to relax me, I put Lavender Essential oil in my baths and I put satchels of lavender in my buckwheat pillows. The smell is subtle and it is so relaxing to breath deep the sent of calming Lavender before I close my eyes at night. Next time I make one for myself, I am going to put Chamomile in there as well.

Have fun, and perfection is not the purpose, the purpose is a comfortable, healthy, supportive pillow that will last you for years.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I look forward to making severak buckwheat pillows now.....It looks like they'd also make a great gift :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the information.. Very helpful for us..
    regards
    Buckwheat Hull Pillows Teams

    ReplyDelete