Wednesday, July 22, 2009

"Mom, Dad? Why don't you ever listen to me?"

Most parent's today believe that kid's should be seen and not heard. They think that kids do not, and should not have there own opinion. Well only those kids know how it feels.... Bad.

As someone who goes through it with some people myself, I have concluded to only nod and say"OK". But how a kid feels is worse than it looks. They feel like they are just being brushed away and put in a corner or swept under a rug. That he/she doesn't care about their opinion or what they think is right. But I know that some kids have it worse than I of course, but I'm sure no one likes it.

For example: Say that you get into a conversation with your kid, but everything that she says you just brush off, only thinking of how what she says is not what you believe to be the truth... and basically tell her that she is wrong and that she shouldn't have an opinion because she is either to young, or not worldly enough, or only spouting the opinion of the other parent, or a friend. Is it so hard to believe that a child of any age (I know that my 5 year old brother has strong opinions on what he believes) could know what they think and believe in, is it so hard to allow that child the opportunity to be heard and respected?

When you ignore or brush her/him aside, in her mind she subconsciously tells herself "This person doesn't care about what I'm saying!" and she thinks, "I'm some kind of opinion-less puppet." In the long run, that's going to mess her up as an adult. She will automatically think that no one cares what she thinks, or that everyone's opinion is wrong, and her's is the only right one. Trust me, I've seen it before. So people PLEASE, give your kids a chance, stop thinking about yourselves for a moment and you might be surprised what they have to say. We are smarter then we act sometimes, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment