Sunday, July 12, 2009

Farmtown for learning?

This might come as a shock to some, but I am advocating that everyone figure out a way for their children to play Farmtown. For those who haven't heard of it, Farmtown is an interactive game that you can play from Facebook. At first I refused to even look at it, figuring it was stupid and that I would be wasting my time, but now that I have played for awhile and allowed my older children to play for a few days I gotta say Wow, what a learning game.

Not only do they learn about farming (yes a simple form to be sure) but they also learn about money (saving and spending), you have an opportunity to work for other farmers, and hire others to work your farms. They get a chance to work on their spelling and typing skills, as they chat with friends and family, and send and receive gifts. All in all I love it, and so do the kids. It really warms my heart to see them working to save enough money to buy a barn, or animal they really want, because I know that in a limited budget household like ours, they wont get very many opportunities to work with money in real life, so I am super glad that I can give them this chance to practice these important skills.

And for those who are unfamilluar woith facebook, it is a social netwqorking site that you can connect with friends and family. Unlike myspace it seems relatively innocent, and you can be sure to only have family and friends on your friends list. Strangers hardly ever ask to be friends with you, usually only if you are in a group (home schoolers, ER fans .....) together.

No comments:

Post a Comment