Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Mama's Lightweight Whole Grain Bread....

This is a recipe for whole grain wheat bread with other grains as well. I like to add lots of good for you stuff to my bread, because you can get away with it, and the kids are none the wiser. To make this bread you for sure need a grain mill, and a Bosch bread machine... This recipe makes 4 awesome loaves, and they are light enough for sandwiches like white, but filling like wheat....

  • 2 1/2 C Whey (or buttermilk or milk) cold from the fridge
  • 2 1/2 C Hot (just to boiling) H2o (I use an electric kettle)
  • 1 1/2 T Sea salt
  • 2/3 C Olive oil (grape seed is good as well)
  • 1/3 C Turbinado sugar (or any sweetener you like Honey works awesome)
  • 5 C Whole grain flour (I make a mixture of equal Wheat, Rye, Oat groat & Barley) Packed
  • 1 C Bulgar (I do a mixture of equal Wheat and Rye)
  • 1/4 C Gluton flour
  • 1/4 C Ground Flax Seed's
  • 3 T Yeast
Put the above ingredients into your mixer in the order listed, then run on 1, for 30 seconds or so. Then add:
  • 5 1/2 C Packed Unbleached White Flour (I use Organic when I can afford it)
Put your mixer on 2, (I like to add the rest of the flour while its still going on 1, but some aren't comfortable with that). Set a timer for 10 minutes and walk away.

Divide into 4 equal loaves put in greased bread pans, put a slit lengthwise in the top of each loaf, let rise until just over the top of the pan, cook in a preheated oven at 350* For 30 Minutes.

Remove from pans and put on cooling rack, brush some butter or Olive Oil on the top of the loaves. And enjoy!

Sine they are made from scratch with no preservitaves you want to keep them in the Fridge or Freezer. I keep the one we are eating out on the counter, as I don't like cold bread ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment